GDYARVE # Chapter 59 It's Okay, I Can Accept Failure
# Chapter 59 It's Okay, I Can Accept Failure
"My company is called Sprout, and it was established less than a year ago." Ye Feng kept the blindfold on, not removing it.
"You should go." Xie Lingjiang's brief hope was dashed upon hearing that the company was just recently founded.
Transitioning from relying on her parents to relying on a friend wasn't something she wanted.
"I'm not joking. You've been sick for a while. You can look up Sprout Studio."
She fell silent, and Ye Feng knew she was checking the information.
After a while, she spoke again.
"This... is yours?" Even though she had been sick and had to take a leave of absence just before graduation due to the accident, she'd heard of Black Star's name in her classmates' and school's groups.
People in the game-related fields talked about that name constantly.
"Yes, I want to invite you to join my company so we can make games together."
"In my company, as long as you work hard, you'll see tangible rewards. I'm not giving you special treatment; all employees are treated this way."
"Of course, you can choose to work from home as long as you keep up with everyone and communicate actively about work details." Remote work is inconvenient, but considering the special circumstances, it could be understood.
As soon as Ye Feng finished speaking, he felt the mask being removed from his eyes. The room wasn't bright, only dimly lit.
"Whether out of pity or sympathy, I want to try this opportunity." Xie Lingjiang walked to the window and pulled open the curtains.
Bright sunlight streamed in. She closed her eyes, having not seen such strong light in a long time.
In the glaring light, Ye Feng saw her current appearance clearly: scarred, reptilian-like skin spreading from her collar, covering much of her neck and face. All ten fingers showed varying degrees of burn scars.
Seeing her like this, Ye Feng felt a pang in his heart. He turned away, afraid his gaze might make her uncomfortable.
"I want to go to the company to work. It's okay if the salary is low." Xie Lingjiang stood in front of Ye Feng.
"I can forgo treatment. I just don't want to be useless..."
People fear losing their value the most. Now given a chance, she wanted to seize it and prove her worth.
Ye Feng was momentarily stunned, then nodded.
"Okay, get ready. We'll leave in a week, and you can start then."
"In the meantime, you can look up information about our company."
"Okay, I will." Xie Lingjiang nodded. She still couldn't help but turn her head when being looked at, but she was making an effort to overcome it.
"Alright, I'll come back for you in a week." Ye Feng sighed in relief.
The fact that she was willing to continue living was a good thing. As for treatment and skin grafts, those could be discussed later.
"Knock, knock!"
There was a knock on the door. "Jiang Jiang, Xiao Feng, dinner is ready," Xie Bing reminded them that Ye Feng had been there a while.
Click.
As soon as he finished speaking, the door was opened.
"Xiao Feng, Jiang Jiang won't be joining us for dinner. Don't take it to heart."
"Dad, it's me." Xie Lingjiang fully opened the door, glancing back at Ye Feng. "Let's go out and eat."
"Hmm?" Xie Bing was surprised, seeing the bright light in the room and Ye Feng standing in the middle.
"You!" Seeing the mask removed from Ye Feng's face, Xie Bing felt a rush of anger, his fist clenching.
"Dad, it's okay. I told him to take it off." Xie Lingjiang quickly grabbed her father's arm, shaking her head.
Tears welled in her eyes, but she was smiling.
This was why she wanted to cling to life and also why she considered leaving this world.
She wanted to live because she didn't want her loved ones to suffer from her loss. She also wanted to leave to avoid being a burden to her family.
So she was grateful to Ye Feng for giving her an opportunity to prove her value, even if it was out of pity.
"Jiang Jiang...?" Xie Bing looked at her in confusion.
"Ye Feng started a company that aligns with my major. He invited me to work there."
"But Jiang Jiang..."
"Dad, I want to go." Xie Lingjiang held his arm.
Xie Bing's fingers gently touched his daughter's damaged cheek.
"Uncle, don't worry. I'll protect Jiang Jiang and won't let anyone bully her." Ye Feng stood behind Xie Lingjiang.
Xie Bing turned abruptly and hurried to the kitchen.
"You two sit down. I'll bring out the dishes."
"Thank you." Watching her father's trembling shoulders, Xie Lingjiang looked back at Ye Feng.
"We're good friends, after all," Ye Feng smiled, recalling their childhood promises.
"..."
"Yes, we are good friends," Xie Lingjiang murmured, following him to the kitchen to help with the dishes.
At the dining table, after the food was served, Ye Feng began talking about the game he needed her to lead.
"The company's main focus is on another game right now. Your task is to lead a small team to complete a game project."
"The game is called 'Celeste.' It's a platformer, and if you've heard about my work, you know my games tend to be challenging."
"Although 'Celeste' is a platformer, my idea is to make it without platforms."
Xie Lingjiang listened attentively. After hearing Ye Feng's words, she was momentarily stunned. How could a platformer have no platforms?
Her expression darkened slightly. She feared she might not be able to keep up with Ye Feng's pace despite Sprout Studio's success being evident.
"Okay, I'll give you the game plan and design later." This game wasn't in his immediate plans. He was just preparing it in advance, which he saw as no problem.
Ye Feng hoped Xie Lingjiang could lead the team to complete the game.
He wished that snowy mountain in winter could give her a warm spiritual redemption.
In the game, the protagonist Madeline's dark side once asked, "What if you fail to reach the summit?"
Unlike those confident and determined game protagonists who say, "Trust me! I can do it!" Madeline responded, "It's okay. I can accept failure."
Simple words, spoken calmly.
Madeline's heart had always been restless, even after growing and speaking harshly. She was still that little girl.
Facing failure calmly is a true step forward.
Perhaps the view from the top of the mountain isn't much different from here.
(End of this chapter)