DAEYTT ### Chapter 069: Top-tier Treatment! Not a Single One Who Can Compete.
### Chapter 069: Top-tier Treatment! Not a Single One Who Can Compete.
Sun Jing is Chen Xiaowen's agent and works for Jinghua Entertainment Group, headquartered in Beijing. It is considered one of the most influential companies in China's entertainment industry. Wang Qian recalled his last conversation with Sun Jing during the recording of "The Voice." He had a favorable impression of her—she wasn't condescending or aggressive.
He answered the phone.
Sun Jing's voice came through: "Wang Qian, am I disturbing you?"
Wang Qian, lying on the sofa, replied, "No, what's up?"
Sun Jing said, "You must be bombarded by agents these days. I'll be brief. I want to sign you with a top-tier contract! A contract better than the best."
As an old hand in the entertainment industry, Wang Qian immediately caught the underlying meaning of her words: "You want to sign me personally? Not your company?"
This distinction was crucial.
Sun Jing confirmed, "Yes, it's me, not Jinghua Entertainment. To be transparent, I plan to leave the company and start my own venture with Xiaowen and a few old friends. I see tremendous potential in you and want you to be the first to sign with my new company. In return for your risk, I'll give you a super first-tier contract. You deserve it with your current achievements and potential."
Wang Qian, curious, asked, "Is Jinghua involved in suppressing me?"
Sun Jing laughed, "Did you notice?"
Wang Qian replied, "Of course, anyone with eyes can see it. If anyone else had six songs dominating the top ten of the new song chart and three songs with over ten million downloads, they would be all over the news. The fact that no one is mentioning it shows someone is suppressing me, and it's not just one person."
Sun Jing confirmed, "You're right. Every company in the industry wants to sign you. They see you as a money tree. Until you decide on a company, they'll try to minimize your exposure to lower their costs in signing you. Jinghua, Jinhui, Tianshan, Southern Entertainment, and Tianfu Entertainment are all involved. I know several media outlets wanted to cover your news, but Jinhui Entertainment and Southern Entertainment suppressed it."
"Your works won't get any recommendations on the Tengfei website this month, and possibly not next month either."
Wang Qian felt the pressure, "Impressive! Can you handle them?"
Sun Jing admitted, "I can't handle them. But once you decide on a company, they'll stop suppressing you since they won't gain anything from it. Suppressing someone costs money and resources, and without any benefit, they'll soon give up."
Wang Qian asked, "What conditions are you offering to others?"
Sun Jing hesitated briefly before answering honestly, "Several old friends have shares, and Xiaowen has the same conditions as you. Xiaowen has enormous potential too."
Wang Qian said, "Okay, I understand. I'll think about it."
Just as he was about to hang up, Wang Qian asked, "What's your new company worth?"
Sun Jing laughed, "Why, are you thinking of investing?"
Wang Qian replied, "Just curious."
Sun Jing said, "My connections, Xiaowen's potential, and the resources from my old friends are worth at least a billion."
This was typical in the entertainment industry. Many shell companies had no money in the bank and even large debts, but they could still be sold for a high price due to their contracted artists, accumulated connections, and intellectual property.
Wang Qian said, "Got it, thanks."
Sun Jing added, "If you want to sign, contact me soon. If you want to invest, you're welcome, but as a newcomer without industry connections, my old friends might not want you involved."
Wang Qian thought, "Maybe it's you who doesn't want me involved?"
He replied, "Okay, I understand. What if you don't bring those old friends and work solely for me?"
Sun Jing was taken aback, clearly surprised by Wang Qian's proposition: "Solely for you? Your personal studio?"
Wang Qian smiled, "Or maybe an entertainment company?"
Sun Jing laughed, "Thanks for your confidence. What do you think I should choose?"
On one side were several established stars, and on the other, a super potential newcomer. Potential remained just potential, no matter how great it was.
Wang Qian said, "I get it. That's all for now; I want to watch TV."
Sun Jing said, "Alright, I'm watching TV with Xiaowen too. It's a shame we couldn't attend your recording. They said your performance was stunning, and four mentors fought over you. Impressive!"
Wang Qian asked, "What about Chen Xiaowen? How many mentors fought over her?"
Sun Jing replied, "Three!"
Wang Qian asked, "Only three? Who was so aloof to ignore her?"
Sun Jing answered, "Cui Wenfeng!"
Wang Qian paused and then laughed, "Haha, okay then, goodbye."
He hung up the phone, laughing awkwardly.
It seemed Cui Wenfeng only liked rock music. So, no matter how impressive Chen Xiaowen was, he wasn't interested because she didn't do rock.
The show had already started...
...
Sun Jing was indeed with Chen Xiaowen in a high-end apartment in Xihu City. Both were dressed casually, watching TV on the sofa.
"Did he reject you?" Chen Xiaowen asked as Sun Jing returned from the phone call, curious.
Sun Jing shook her head, "I don't know. He neither refused nor agreed. He's a slick one. He's definitely not in a hurry now; the show hasn't aired yet, and he has an even higher starting point ahead."
Chen Xiaowen said, "Indeed! So far, he's the only one all four mentors fought over."
She felt a bit dejected at this. She had hoped to be a four-kill but ended up with only three, as Cui Wenfeng showed no interest.
Although Sun Jing had explained that Cui Wenfeng only liked rock music and hence didn't choose her, she still felt down because Wang Qian managed to impress all four mentors with his rock performance.
Sun Jing suggested, "Let's see what new song he sings."
Chen Xiaowen didn't say more, focusing on the TV screen...
...
In Peng City, Li Qingyao finished her half-hour livestream, freshened up, and sat on the sofa to watch TV. She switched to Jiangsu-Zhejiang Satellite TV, eyes on the screen.
Liu Lihua brought her a glass of milk, "Wang Qian hasn't appeared yet."
Li Qingyao nodded, took a sip of milk, and said softly, "Did you know Wang Qian has three songs with over ten million downloads?"
Liu Lihua replied, "Yes, I saw."
Li Qingyao noted, "There hasn't been any news about it on social media."
Liu Lihua said, "Maybe people aren't interested."
Li Qingyao smiled and didn't pursue the topic. Both women understood the underlying reasons well. As a beneficiary, Li Qingyao kept her silence and watched TV, "Is he appearing last?"
Liu Lihua guessed, "Maybe."
One strong contestant after another appeared, and Li Qingyao, as a professional singer, praised, "The show is strict this year. These contestants are strong; in previous years, they would at least make the second round, yet they're all being eliminated."
Liu Lihua added, "Look at the mentors!"
Li Qingyao saw the four faces and felt the pressure, "This year, the show put in real effort."
Each mentor could easily be her teacher, and she might not even be accepted if she applied to be their student.
As it got late, Li Qingyao wanted to shower but didn't want to miss the most exciting part, so she stayed on the sofa.
Finally, the host announced, "Next up, our last contestant of the episode!"
Wang Qian appeared on screen, followed by a backstage interview.
The host asked, "Mr. Wang Qian, as a drama graduate, why choose singing to debut?"
Wang Qian replied seriously, "Because I feel no pressure debuting as an actor."
Curious, the host asked, "Why?"
Wang Qian said, "Because my acting is too good!"
The host challenged, "But you're a newcomer; what if no one hires you?"
Wang Qian confidently said, "Then I'll invest myself, write my scripts, and make my own shows! They'll definitely be hits."
The host asked, "Are you sure about what it takes to make a hit? Can you write scripts and direct?"
Wang Qian modestly said, "I know a little bit."
The host continued, "So you think debuting as a singer might be challenging?"
Wang Qian nodded, "Yes, I initially thought it might be challenging. But now, I think it's not as challenging as I imagined."
The host, intrigued, asked, "Why?"
Wang Qian looked into the camera, "Because there's no one in the Chinese music scene who can compete."
The host exaggeratedly opened her mouth, "Are you sure?"
Wang Qian firmly said, "I'm sure!"
The host concluded, "Alright, we'll be watching! Looking forward to your performance."
She didn't dwell on the topic, likely to avoid offending people, but the segment wasn't cut, indicating the show's producers weren't afraid of controversy. This would generate buzz and attract more attention to Wang Qian and the show.
Li Qingyao squinted at the screen, commenting, "He dares to say that."
Liu Lihua noted, "He'll offend people."
Indeed, Li Qingya
o was already feeling displeased. She was still number one, ahead of Wang Qian. Saying there was no one who could compete was offensive.
Then, on the screen, Wang Qian formally appeared.