AFVSIBS ## Chapter 156: With Zhou Chen Gone, Ratings Plummet


Zhao Liang's worst fear came true. As soon as Zhou Chen and Wu Heng left, the ratings for "Our Music" started to drop steadily.


In just 20 minutes, the ratings had already fallen to 2.8.


This was the difference Zhou Chen made. With Zhou Chen present, even if he wasn't performing, the show maintained high ratings. Without him, it was just an ordinary variety show.


Because of this, many variety show producers were eyeing Zhou Chen. Everyone knew that having Zhou Chen on their show guaranteed high ratings.


Wei Wentao, the director of "Music 2023," saw the situation unfold and immediately called Wan Fangfang of Wanhe. Fangfang had managed many top stars before, and Wei Wentao knew her from various events.


"Director Wei, what brings you to call me tonight?" Seeing Wei Wentao’s call, Wan Fangfang could guess why but played along.


"It's been a while, and I suddenly missed my old friend. Do you have time tonight? How about we grab a late-night snack together?"


Wei Wentao invited her politely.


"Director Wei, I'd love to join you, but I'm accompanying Zhou Chen and Wu Heng to their show tonight. No time for a snack. Maybe another day, and it'll be my treat."


"Actually, no need to wait. After your show, you'll probably want a snack, right? Tonight's snack is on me. I'll make the arrangements."


Wei Wentao had a plan. If Fangfang agreed, he could talk to her and Zhou Chen face-to-face, increasing the chances of inviting Zhou Chen to "Music 2023."


"Director Wei, I think you want to discuss something with Zhou Chen, right? But I advise you to drop it. He rarely has late-night snacks because he doesn’t like to stay up late. So, he declines all invitations for late-night snacks."


"Oh! Is he really that peculiar?"


"Zhou Chen is famous for his quirks, but that’s his only downside. Everything else is fine," Fangfang explained.


"Geniuses, I get it. They’re often eccentric. I admire talented artists like him. That’s why I want to invite him to my new show, 'Music 2023.'"


After much preamble, Wei Wentao finally got to the point.


"I figured that’s why you called, but I couldn’t bring it up first. Personally, I’d love for him to join more shows, but he’s quite quirky. I’m not sure if he’ll be interested in 'Music 2023.' Send me the details, and I’ll pass them on to him."


"Fangfang, we go way back. Please do your best to make this happen. How about you put in a good word for our show with Zhou Chen? I’ll make it worth your while."


Wei Wentao was smart. He knew many shows were sending invitations to Zhou Chen. If Fangfang merely passed on the invite, "Music 2023" would struggle to get Zhou Chen.


That’s why he wanted Fangfang to advocate for the show. She was the only one with daily contact with Zhou Chen.


He believed that if Fangfang helped, the chances of getting Zhou Chen on "Music 2023" would greatly increase.


"Director Wei, don’t worry. I’ll put in a good word for you. But even with my endorsement, Zhou Chen needs to know about your show to make a decision. So, have your team send the program details to my email."


Fangfang agreed, not wanting to offend Wei Wentao. This was her usual approach with all the directors who contacted her lately.


In the entertainment industry, maintaining good relationships was crucial. You couldn’t survive otherwise.


"No problem. I'll have the team send the details to your email soon. Thank you so much. Let’s have a big meal sometime, on me."


Wei Wentao was delighted. After the call, he fantasized about the ratings soaring above 4.0 or even higher if Zhou Chen joined "Music 2023."

"Fangfang, it's about time. I'm heading back now," Zhou Chen said to Wan Fangfang as she walked into the backstage lounge after finishing her call.


"Ah, you're leaving already? The show isn't over yet. If 'Desert Camel' wins the most votes and highest score, you and Wu Heng will be the champions of this episode. You need to go on stage to accept the award," Wan Fangfang said, first surprised and then reminding him.


"Wu Heng can accept the award. I'm going back to take a shower, read a bit, and then sleep. That timing works perfectly for me," Zhou Chen replied.


His indifference to awards and calm demeanor left Wan Fangfang, who had worked with many top stars, deeply impressed. She had never seen an artist, not even a superstar, remain so composed and uninterested in awards, applause, and praise.


"Zhou Chen, you really are like a celestial being. You don't care about awards? Why don't you wait a bit longer? Once the show ends, I'll treat you all to a late-night snack," Wu Heng said heartily.


"Thanks, but you know I don't like eating late at night. It disrupts my sleep schedule. I'm heading back now. Goodbye," Zhou Chen said simply, explaining to Wu Heng before grabbing his bag and leaving alone.


"Director Zhao, there's a problem. Zhou Chen left the show early," a staff member quickly informed Zhao Liang after discovering Zhou Chen's early departure.


"No way! The show's not over yet, and he left? He still has a good chance of going on stage to accept an award," Zhao Liang said, shocked.


To confirm, Zhao Liang handed his work to his assistant and went to the backstage lounge. Seeing Zhao Liang approach, Wan Fangfang guessed it must be about Zhou Chen leaving early.


She quickly walked over and explained, "Director Zhao, I'm really sorry. Zhou Chen is like this. He doesn't like staying up late and has a rule to sleep before 11 PM every day, so..."

NEXT

Popular posts from this blog

SRGA Chapter 1: Let's Go Register

ABCFWGR Chapter 1: Don't Come Near Me

SRGA Chapter 2: The Golden Finger Has Arrived!