ABCFWGR Chapter 84: Money is No Object
Gu Chen and Wu Anqi drove ahead, with Sun Zhian following behind.
"Why did you agree to have lunch with him? Didn't you see me signaling you with my eyes?" Wu Anqi complained.
She was not happy to have an extra person join their lunch.
"It's a free meal. Why not?" Gu Chen replied nonchalantly.
"Are you short of money?" Wu Anqi rolled her eyes.
"You'll see when we get there," Gu Chen smirked.
Seeing Gu Chen's mischievous expression, Wu Anqi couldn't help but feel a bit intrigued.
It didn't take long for them to arrive at their destination.
Seeing the sign "Ye Shi Hotel," Wu Anqi immediately realized the situation. She scolded, "You're so bad! This is one of the top hotels in Lin'an. A casual meal here costs tens of thousands, and you need to be a member to dine."
"It was your old classmate who insisted on treating us to a meal, not me forcing him," Gu Chen replied, parking the car.
If Sun Zhian had only wanted to please Wu Anqi, Gu Chen wouldn't have teased him. After all, it's common for a gentleman to accommodate a lady's wishes.
But since he wanted to step on Gu Chen's toes to impress Wu Anqi, Gu Chen wouldn't let him off the hook easily.
Sun Zhian had just returned to the country and was not familiar with the hotels in Lin'an, but he was good at pretending.
"Mr. Gu, you have a good taste in choosing this place. It's barely passable, suitable for someone like me and Anqi. You've benefited from Anqi's company this time. Don't forget to promote her more in the future," Sun Zhian commented as they got out of the car.
Gu Chen smiled but didn't respond.
Wu Anqi, on the other hand, was eager to see Sun Zhian embarrassed.
Sun Zhian had been pursuing her before he went abroad, and even after being rejected, he kept pestering her.
If it weren't for the sake of old classmates, she wouldn't want to have anything to do with him, especially after he ruined their sweet lunch. She was feeling quite proud and didn't want to give him a good impression.
"Let's go in," Sun Zhian led the way.
However, when they reached the entrance of the hotel, they were stopped by the staff.
"Sorry, are you here for dining?" the staff asked politely.
"Of course, what else would we be here for? To use the restroom?" Sun Zhian retorted impatiently.
Nevertheless, the staff insisted on not letting them in and said, "I'm sorry, but we only serve members. I'm afraid we cannot accommodate you."
"What do you mean? Are you looking down on me? Do you think I can't afford it? I'll buy you out with my money!" Sun Zhian glared angrily.
He couldn't believe that a mere staff member dared to embarrass him in front of his goddess.
"We only serve members, but your demeanor doesn't seem like that of our hotel's members," the staff replied calmly.
"I thought you were something special. It's just a membership. Get me one," Sun Zhian took out his bank card and handed it over.
The staff took the bank card and said, "We have regular and premium memberships. Which one would you like to apply for?"
"Premium. How premium can it be? I'm not short of money," Sun Zhian looked back at Wu Anqi, as if to say, "See? This is power."
Wu Anqi lowered her head, struggling to hold back her laughter.
Gu Chen remained calm, showing no signs of deliberate action.
"A premium membership requires a deposit of over five million. Are you sure?" the staff asked.
"How... how much?"
Sun Zhian was dumbfounded, unable to speak properly.
If it weren't for Wu Anqi standing behind him, he would have wanted to snatch the card back.
"Over five million," the staff said casually.
"Is your food made of gold? Why don't you just rob a bank?" Sun Zhian exclaimed in disbelief.
"If you can't afford it, don't pretend to be rich. If you can't pay, please leave," the staff said bluntly, returning the card.
"Can't afford it? Who do you think you're looking down on? Can't I afford it?" Sun Zhian demanded loudly.
"Then go ahead and pay!" the staff provocatively replied.
Sun Zhian felt like he was being strangled, his face turning red with embarrassment. Thinking of Wu Anqi behind him, he quickly turned around and explained, "Anqi, I definitely can afford it. I just think they're deliberately overcharging. You know what I mean, right?"
"I understand, I understand!" Wu Anqi almost burst out laughing.
Gu Chen interjected, "It's my fault. I forgot that you need to be a member to dine here. Shall we go somewhere else?"
Sun Zhian, knowing very well that Gu Chen was doing it on purpose, glared at him fiercely and said, "No need. Let's eat here. It makes me look like I can't afford it."
"Sir, for regular membership, how much do you need to deposit?" Gu Chen asked the staff.
"A minimum of one million," the staff replied nonchalantly.
"One million? That's still a lot!" Sun Zhian furrowed his brows but gritted his teeth and said, "Fine, I'll do it. I won't come here again anyway. Just deposit the one million."
"I'm telling you, it's not that I can't afford a meal. I'll just consider it spending one million for a meal. Don't look down on people," Sun Zhian said angrily.
The staff chuckled, as if to say, "I've seen people like you a lot."
Sun Zhian felt helpless and resentful towards Gu Chen.
If only he had known earlier, he wouldn't have suggested having lunch. No, he shouldn't have let this guy choose the place in the first place. It was deliberate from the beginning.
"Beep beep!"
The POS machine beeped a few times.
The staff, holding the bank card between two fingers, looked at Sun Zhian indifferently and said, "Insufficient balance in the card!"
"Um..." Sun Zhian felt humiliated and exploded, "What... what's your attitude? Even if there's not enough balance, can't you be more polite? Get your manager out here!"
"Our manager is busy entertaining VIP guests and has no time to deal with you. Besides, the manager only entertains member guests. You're not a member, so you have no right to see our manager," the staff said aggressively.
"Let's forget it. It's not worth wasting money. Let's go somewhere else to eat," Wu Anqi suggested.
She couldn't bear to see him embarrass himself any further. After all, he was an old classmate, and she wanted to give him some face.
But Sun Zhian seemed to have misunderstood her, "Wu Anqi, do you also look down on me? Do you think I can't afford to become a member? I'll tell you, I'm worth tens of millions. I just forgot to bring my card when I went out!"
"Sun Zhian, can you stop acting like a mad dog biting people? You're the one who offered to treat us, not me begging you to treat us. Keep it in check," Wu Anqi frowned.
"It's true that I offered to treat, but deliberately choosing a place like this, aren't you trying to humiliate me?" Sun Zhian snapped, tearing off his mask.
Not being able to afford the membership fee had dealt a heavy blow to his self-esteem.
"Bullying women doesn't count as being competent," Gu Chen said coldly.
His words ignited Sun Zhian's anger, "You still have the nerve to say that! You chose the place from the beginning, digging a pit and waiting for me to fall into it!"
With that, he reached out to grab Gu Chen's collar.
"Snap!"
Gu Chen slapped his hand away directly, "You're right. I did dig a pit and wait for you to jump in, but you provoked it first. Don't think I can't see through your intentions."
NEXT